By Juliano Oliveira
Brisbane City Council has announced the 2020 Christmas program as COVID-19 safe measures will be put in place.
Acting Mayor Krista Adams guaranteed the health safety environment during the holiday’s festivities. The Lord Mayor’s Lighting of the Christmas Tree will be done virtually on 1 December, for example.
“We have delivered a reimagined Christmas program this year to lift community spirits and give our battling local businesses a boost,” Cr Adams said.
“While it may look a little bit different with COVID-safe precautions, we have a range of events and old favourites that will ensure Christmas will most definitely be in the air in our city.”
This year, Lord Mayor’s Charitable Trust will sort 3000 toys for children in need.
“This year’s Lord Mayor’s Charitable Trust Christmas Grant Round, which provides Toys, food vouchers and funds for Christmas celebrations, is more important than ever as the need for support in our city has never been greater,” she said.
“The effects of coronavirus have left our small, grassroots charities with fewer funds, sparse resources and depleted volunteers, and we have seen a significant increase this year in those seeking assistance.
“To ease the burden on charities, we are sorting over 3000 toys today for 36 charities which will make their way to families and children who would otherwise go without presents under the tree this Christmas.”
CHECK THE 2020 CHRISTMAS PROGRAM:
- 1 December: The Lord Mayor’s Lighting of the Christmas Tree which will see the 22m tall tree illuminate via a special virtual cross to the countdown that families can enjoy from their home – via the Brisbane City Facebook page. Households are encouraged to turn their tree on with us on 1 December and share it via #MerryBrismas.
- 4-24 Dec: The Gold Lotto City Hall Light Show will project a Christmas tale onto Brisbane City Hall every 15 minutes via an exciting light and animation show.
- 4-24 Dec: The reimagined Christmas on Queen will include lots of live pop-up performances and entertainment throughout Queen Street Mall, with acrobats, choirs, and all your favourite Christmas characters.
- 5 December: The Lord Mayor’s Christmas Carols will be held at the iconic Riverstage and will be a ticketed event to ensure the safety of those attending.
- 18-23 Dec: The Christmas Tree Spectacular – Supported by ABC Radio Brisbane is a Christmas production featuring song, dance and circus act at the South Bank Piazza.
- 18-23 Dec: Pull up a rug on South Bank Parklands’ River Quay Green & delight in a free cinematic experience at the outdoor Christmas Cinema – presented by eatSouthBank
- 18-23 Dec: Santa’s Stopover at South Bank Parkland’s Flowstate will have socially-distanced Santa photos for the kids, with Santa’s elves reciting their favourite Christmas tales and helping with arts and crafts at Kids Craft & Storytelling.
- 18-23 Dec: Festive Beats – Presented by eatSouthBank will deliver the Christmas soundtrack at South Bank with original tunes and Christmas covers, with no one artist performing twice across the program.
- 18-24 Dec: Santa’s Stable will see Santa’s reindeer surprise and delight shoppers in the Queen Street Mall for a limited time each night.
This program is in addition to other fun events across the city including:
- The Lord Mayor’s Seniors Christmas Concerts at City Hall (30Nov–9Dec)
- Collective Markets: Christmas Edition in South Bank (18-23 Dec)
- The Enchanted Garden in Roma Street Parkland (4 December – 17 January)