Reading Radio SolutionWire Logo

Government announces a plan for the new coronavirus

coronavirus

By Juliano Oliveira

The Queensland Department of Health has announced a response plan for the new coronavirus.

More than 60 clinicians, health executives and civic leaders gathered in Brisbane this Friday (24) discussed the state’s response plan and the latest developments of the situation.

Chief Health Officer Dr Jeannette Young assured that Queensland is well-prepared. She mentioned that, in the past, the population had to deal with health emergencies that have threatened the state, such as swine flu, bird flu, SARS, MERS and Ebola.

“The Commonwealth controls the nation’s borders and we know they are doing everything they can to prevent this disease from entering Australia. They are working with all States and Territories to develop Australia’s response,” said Ms Young.

So far Queensland Health has tested four people for the novel coronavirus. All four tested negative.

Symptoms are similar to those of several other respiratory conditions, such as influenza, and include fever, cough, shortness of breath and sore throat.

“The public to take the same health precautions they would during influenza season. That includes heeding basic disease prevention advice like washing your hands regularly, especially after being in public areas, and covering your cough,” said Ms Young.

“There is no cause for alarm but we urge people to remain vigilant.”

Anyone who has developed any respiratory symptoms within 14 days of travel to Wuhan to see their GP immediately. People are urged to call ahead and advise the clinic of their symptoms so precautions can be taken.

For information on coronavirus, contact 13 HEALTH (13 43 25 84).

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Published with the help of our sponsors