By Blake Kebblewhite
With the COVID-19 pandemic taking a step in a new direction, people are looking to the future to try and secure a job.
The ABS (Australian Bureau of Statistics) recently released data showing that jobs decreased by 6% in the first month of the outbreak.
“The largest impact of net job losses, in percentage terms, was for people aged under 20, for whom jobs decreased by 9.9%,” ABS Head of Labour Statistics, Bjorn Jarvis, said.
As the ongoing pandemic continues, the unemployment numbers will continue to rise.
“Looking at the week-to-week changes, the decrease in jobs in the week ending 4 April 2020 was 5.5%, significantly larger than the 0.5% decrease in the week ending 28 March 2020,” Mr Jarvis said.
With economic stability needed now more than ever, how do you as an unemployed individual take the next step to secure yours?
Searching for a new job can be challenging, tough and frustrating, so here are some key steps to help you to secure an economically healthy future:
Who is hiring?
According to Linkedin data, these companies are currently hiring:
- Atlassian is hiring more than 230 people in NSW.
- UNSW is hiring for more than 150 positions in NSW.
- Commonwealth Bank is hiring for more than 80 roles Across Australia.
- Salesforce and Mulesoft are hiring for more than 40 roles across Australia.
- ING Australia is hiring for 35 roles across Australia.
- The University of Sydney is hiring for more than 30 roles in Sydney.
- TikTok is hiring for 20 roles in NSW.
- DocuSign is hiring for 12 roles across Australia.
- Workday is hiring for 16 roles across Australia.
- Australia Post is hiring 600 casual workers.
- Amazon Web Services is hiring for more than 300 roles across Australia.
- Kraft Heinz is hiring more than 30 people across Australia and New Zealand.
- Blackbird Ventures portfolio companies are hiring more than 340 people.
- Datacom is hiring more than 1,000 people across Sydney, Adelaide, Brisbane and Canberra.
- Defence Force Recruiting is hiring 50 specialty roles across the country.
- Airwallex is hiring 15 people in Melbourne.
- Macquarie Telecom Group is hiring more than 20 people in Sydney and Canberra.
- Serco is hiring 1,500 people across Australia.
- Services Australia is hiring 5,000 people.
- Coles is hiring more than 2,000 casual staff across the country.
- ALDI is hiring more than 130 jobs across the country.
- BHP will hire 1,500 people across the country.
- Telstra is hiring more than 3,500 roles the country.
- Aecom is hiring for more than 100 jobs across the country.
- Chemist Warehouse owner CW retail is hiring more than 70 people across the country.
- Glencore is hiring more than 50 roles across the country.
- Spotless is hiring more than 70 roles across the country.
- Downer is hiring for more than 100 roles across the country.
- State and Federal Government jobs can be found on the new JobsHub website.
How to apply?
If you are interested in any of the above companies, press their link to take a step further in securing your future.
Before you apply make sure you read the blurb, do your research, answer all the questions, use the right keywords, take time to consider your cover letter, choose appropriate referees, treat online forms the same as hard copy forms and do a final check.
How to write a cover letter?
Your cover letter is an opportunity to reveal why you are passionate about the position, introducing highlights of your key accomplishments and qualifications for a job opening.
For more information on how to write the perfect cover letter, follow this link: https://www.kellyservices.com.au/how-to-write-a-cover-letter
As you read this today and you think what is next for you in the year 2020, understand that the COVID-19 pandemic is just a small roadblock in your life and career.
Never give up and know that your skills and expertise are needed by companies throughout Australia looking to rebuild through one of the toughest times in Australia’s economic history.