By Claire Matthews
Emerging visual artists on the Gold Coast can have the opportunity to take their practice to the next stage and participate in the Level Up Residency Program.
Applications are now open for creative youth aged 18 to 25, looking to transition from school, work or university studies to a career in the creative industries.
Level Up is a three-month residency program that provides young visual artists with a shared studio space and support to create new work.
Support includes a monthly stipend (artist fee), access to professional development workshops, industry experience and connections that will support creative pursuits and sustainable arts practice.
Artists will also gain experience showcasing their works through the Level Up studio and gallery public programs and events.
The program is open to a maximum of five artists per intake. Ideally, artists will have three or more years of art practice experience: this can include university or TAFE, or being self-taught and creating their own work.
Creative practice may include, but is not limited to:
- visual art, drawing and illustration
- painting and printmaking
- design and photography
- digital and multimedia works
- cross disciplinary works
Successful participants will also be expected to:
- Commit to a 3 month residency period. Including a minimum of three full days per week of studio time at the Level Up venue (during business hours)
- Produce a range of art works during the residency
- Attend professional development workshops and activities
- Participate in programmed activities and industry events
- Attend organised activities such as professional development workshops and industry events
- Acknowledge the Level Up program with any art works produced during the residency
- Complete a pre and post participant feedback survey to monitor progress during the residency
- Work collaboratively with fellow residency artists in supporting a vibrant and creative cultural hub in Coolangatta
Applications close 6 pm, Thursday 11 February 2021. Find the full eligibility criteria and more information on the program here.